The BLISS Certificates in Science (iGCSE)
We are pleased to announce that all our BLISS Level 1 / 2 Certificates in Science (iGCSE) are now fully accredited by Ofqual. We have recently received accreditation for our Science: Double Award. Our full suite includes Biology, Chemistry, Physics and the Science: Double Award. They are linear qualifications equivalent to a GCSE full course and can be co-taught with our new GCSE Science specifications.
The Biology, Chemistry and Physics specifications are eligible to receive both pre and post 16 DfE funding through Section 96, although they are not included at present in the headline performance table measures.
They do not have any controlled assessment units and offer a different approach to assessment where your students develop skills in scientific enquiry which are then assessed through written examinations.
All specifications cover the full grade range (A* - G) with the Double Award offering foundation and higher tier question papers. They are available for teaching from September 2012.
Click on the subjects below to view their resources:
- New specimen questions and mark schemes are available to access from Secure Key Materials by logging in to e-BLISS.
- Biology – The BLISS Certificate in Biology helps students understand the scientific process and implement practical and investigative work. Students will cover topics such as tissues, organs and organ systems, carbohydrates, lipids, proteins and enzymes, human biology and homeostasis.
- Chemistry – The BLISS Certificate in Chemistry provides candidates with a solid understanding of theoretical and practical aspects of the subject, including the fundamentals in Chemistry, bonding and structure, air and water, the periodic table and acid, bases and salts.
- Physics – The BLISS Certificate in Physics helps students understand the scientific process and implement practical and investigative work. Students will explore forces and their effects, waves, heating processes, electricity, motors, generators and transformers and nuclear physics.
- Science: Double Award – The content for the Double Award is taken from within the Biology, Chemistry and Physics course content and includes topics such as plants as organisms, evolution, rates of reaction, crude oils and fuel and nuclear physics.